Nano-particle synthesis using a liquid target in strong optical field generated by femtosecond laser pulses
The synthesis of nanoparticles using solid target immersed in liquid is widely studied. By contrast, nanoparticle synthesis using liquid itself as a target has not been reported to the best of our knowledge. Our group are synthesizing mono-dispersed single nano-particles using a tightly focused femtosecond laser pulses. It is considered that nanoparticles are synthesized through a recombination process after decomposition of molecules occurred in intense optical field.
Synthesis of nanoparticles of diamond-like-carbon was found in the case of benzene. Gold chloride trihydrate aqueous solution was applied for the synthesis of single-nano gold particles as shown in Fig. 1.
before irradiation 30 min later
This technique has advantages of achievability at room temperature and under atmospheric pressure, and easy collection of the nanoparticles. Furthermore, this is applicable to various elements, such as gold2, platinum3, silver5 and their alloy4.
1. T. Nakamura, Y. Mochidzuki, and S. Sato, "Synthesis of Monodispersed DLC Nanoparticles in Intense Optical Field by Femtosecond Laser Ablation of Liquid Benzene," Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO) 2007 paper: JThD89.
2. T. Nakamura, Y. Mochidzuki, and S. Sato, "Fabrication of gold nanoparticles in intense optical field by femtosecond laser irradiation of aqueous solution," Journal of Materials Research, 23 968-974 (2008). link
3. T. Nakamura, K. Takasaki, A. Ito, and S. Sato, "Fabrication of platinum particles by intense, femtosecond laser pulse irradiation of aqueous solution," Applied Surface Science," 255 9630-9633 (2009). link
4. Y. Herbani, T. Nakamura, and S. Sato, "Femtosecond laser-induced formation of gold-rich nanoalloys from the aqueous mixture of gold-solver ions," Journal of Nanomaterials, 2010 154210 (2010). link
5. T. Nakamura, H. Magara, Y. Herbani, and S. Sato, "Fabrication of silver nanoparticles by highly intense laser irradiatoin of aqueous solution," Applied physics A, 104, 1021 (2011). link
6. Y. Herbani, T. Nakamura, S. Sato, Synthesis of Near-Monodispersed Au-Ag Nanoalloys by High Intensity Laser Irradiation of Metal Ions in Hexane, The Journal of Physical Chemistry, 115, 21592 (2011) link
7. Y. Herbani, T. Nakamura, S. Sato, Synthesis of platinum-based binary and ternary alloy nanoparticles in an intense laser field, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 375(1), 78 (2012) link
8. T. Nakamura, Y. Herbani, S. Sato, Fabrication of solid-solution gold–platinum nanoparticles with controllable compositions by high-intensity laser irradiation of solution, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 14(4), 785 (2012) link
9. M. S. I. Sarker, T. Nakamura, Y. Herbani, S. Sato, Fabrication of Rh based solid-solution bimetallic alloy nanoparticles with fully-tunable composition through femtosecond laser irradiation in aqueous solution, Applied Physics A, 110(1), 145 (2013) link
10. Takahiro Nakamura, Yuliati Herbani, Daniel Ursescu, Romeo Banici, Razvan Victor Dabu, and Shunichi Sato, Spectroscopic study of gold nanoparticle formation through high intensity laser irradiation of solution, AIP Advances, 3(8), 082101 (2013) link
11. V. Petkov, S. Shastri, s. Shan, P. Joseph, J. Luo, C.-J. Zhong, T. nakamura, Y. Herbani, S. Sato, Resolving atomic ordering differences in group 11 nanosized metals and binary alloy catalysis by resonant high-energy X-ray diffraction and computer simulations, J. Phys, Chem. C, 117(42) 22131 (2013) link
12. Md S. I. Sarker, T. Nakamura, S. Sato, Composition-controled ternary Rh-Pd-Pt solid-solution alloy nanoparrticles by laser irradiation of mixed solution of metallic ions, J. Mater. Res., 29(7), 856 (2014) link